Followers

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wedding Night


On December 17th, 1273 AD, Mevlana Jalal al-din
Rumi died at Konya, Turkey.
The 17th of December is thus
called Sheb-i Arus, meaning "Bride's
Night" or `
"Nuptial Night" or "Wedding Night," because of the
union of
Mevlana with God. As Rumi's epitaph
states:
"When we are dead, seek not our tomb in the
earth,
but find it in the hearts of men."


O my noble friends, slaughter this cow,
if you wish to raise up the spirit of insight.
I died to being mineral and growth began.
I died to vegetable growth and attained to the state of animals.
I died from animality and became Adam:
why then should I fear?
When have I become less by dying?
Next I shall die to being a human being,
so that I may soar and lift up my head among the angels.
Yet I must escape even from that angelic state:
everything is perishing except His Face.
Once again I shall be sacrificed, dying to the angelic;
I shall become that which could never be imagined -
I shall become nonexistent.
Nonexistence sings its clear melody,
Truly, unto Him shall we return!
- - from the Mathnawi, Book III,
verses 3501 - 3506, in a translation by Professor
William Chittick

No comments: