Followers

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

MORE APPLES II

Decided to do my own taste test on apples and picked up one each of the selection of snacking apples offered by the local Whole Foods here in Santa Fe. I'll list the apples starting with the worst and ending with the best. I didn't include the cooking apples, Granny Smith, Baldwin, Jonathan, and Rome, (although Rome is one I don't mind as a snacking apple.) A good apple site.

Red Delicious-The worst. Mealy, soft, no taste. Nearly inedible.
Golden Delicious
-Not much better, slightly more taste and firmer texture.
The next group of apples were very close in the characterastics which IMO make a good snacking apple, with one apple, a new one at least to me, being slightly overall a better apple. These apples I would give a "very good" rateing.

Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, Winesap and Jonagold were all good snacking apples. But the apple slightly crisper, taster, being both tart and sweet, is the apple which I was not familar, THE HONEY CRISP. Ta Da. Winner.


The Honey Crisp

No comments: